1. Determine trap size.
Width x Height x Depth = Cubic Feet
Cubic Feet x 7.5 = Gallon Capacity
2. Recommended dosage below. For the initial application, double the dose. This will “shock” the system and increase the biofilm to combat the grease immediately.
Trap Size Recommended Dosage Approximate Life
5 – 40 gallons one SMALL block 25 – 30 days*
40 – 80 gallons two SMALL blocks 25 – 30 days*
80 – 500 gallons one MEDIUM block 25 – 30 days*
500 – 1000 gallons** one LARGE block 25 – 30 days*
*Results will vary upon types of food prepared (vegetables and large chunks of meat are harder to digest), temperature, amount of water flow and the trap water pH.
**For traps larger than 1000 gallons, one LARGE block per 1000 gallons is recommended.
3. Check on the cleaning or pumper schedule of the restaurant/kitchen. For Best Results: always begin treatment with a recently cleaned (or pumped) trap.
4. Place blocks away from the inlet, towards the middle. Be sure that the blocks are submerged in the water and are not resting in grease. The blocks need water to dissolve. If using more than one block, place the blocks in a scattered pattern. (Bio-Snake Blocks are individually wrapped. Remove the wrapping before placing the block(s) into the grease trap).
5. For the most effective trap, the water temperature should be below 150º F. This will only be an issue with indoor or under-the-sink traps. The hotter the water, the quicker the disillusion and the more harm to the biologicals.
6. After the initial application, do a follow up in two (2) weeks. Since there are a variety of traps and a variety of applications, it is not an exact science. The purpose of the two (2) week follow up is to gauge the success of the initial application and to determine what works best for the specific trap.
At the two-(2) week checkpoint, you will want to look for the following:
- The remaining grease is soft, broken up.
- The odor should be greatly reduced or eliminated.
- A frothy brown foam is present. (This is the grease being digested into water and CO2.
- Free-flowing water that will appear clearer.
- Check the blocks. If they are 1/2 dissolved, then you have correctly dosed the trap to last approximately 1 month. If they are gone, you have underdosed. If they have hardly dissolved, there is a problem and you should contact us.
7. Check back in two (2) more weeks. Make sure the blocks are practically gone, and then adjust the recommended dosage accordingly.
*information provided by Fresh Products LLC / Bio-Snake 101